Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Terms of Endearment


Twice in the past week I have been called 'cuca.' I figured it was an Asturian word, and I wasn't too worried, since its users sounded friendly, much as if they were calling me 'guapa' or 'maja.' Still, I wasn't sure, and since "cucaracha" is the Spanish word for "cockroach," I wanted to make sure I wasn't being compared to an insect. So I looked it up in an Asturianu-Castellano dictionary and learned that 'cuca' means "a pile of corn husks, or a small mountain of grass." Of course. What every woman wants to be called.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I have been calling you Cuca for years. Hope you and Geoff are doing well. Levon looks great.

Anonymous said...

cuco/a is usually means 'astute', depending on the region of spain it can also mean 'pretty'